Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumors of a List are beginning to circle around the school... A list of what...?
I love you, Pillow ♥
Ebony was here.
Do you have any ideas for future events? Tell us!
You looked so beautiful.

The Melancholy of Autumn

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

Beata Bucks : 12295

The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Their lonely table slipped into an uncomfortable awkward silence. Evelyn tried her best to make herself look occupied, hastily spooning a leaf of spinach into her mouth. Talking had always been an uphill struggle for her. Her mind would tangle itself up in knots trying to get through a quick sentence, and the simplest words became the worst tongue twisters. She'd always been more of a listener, nodding and giving one word answers while people rambled on and on about whatever they wanted. It'd never bothered her to let someone take charge of the conversation. If anything, it was better than the well-meaning pains in the ass that tried to 'break her out of her shell.' She'd known a couple of those types. Maybe Jace was one of them, looking back.

But this was even worse.

She was tempted to just stay quiet, to let it stretch on and on until Lotte was forced to spit something out, but the quiet had already lasted too long. It gnawed away at her.

"S-so..."

Fuck.

She'd always been terrible at this.

"Um..."
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admiral of the SS Sexbang
Jay

Beata Bucks : 8666

PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Lotte chewed silently, not speaking at first because her mind was preoccupied. The scene had been missing something. She felt hollow, forcing herself to go through without questioning what it was. Finally, though, she knew. She had always done this with a certain friend, sat at these tables and studied with her ghost pal. "I miss Ethel," she told herself, in a mumbling voice so low, she did not realize at first that she said it. She glanced over at Evelyn, blinking. "I, um, should tell you where I've been the past two years, huh?" It was not something she was proud of, but it had to get out sometime. Her carbon-colored, carbon fiber hand traced rigid, uncanny circles on the table.
Back to top Go down
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 5:01 pm

The wordless hush felt like it stretched on for an eternity before Lotte spoke again, her quiet mumble breaking the silence. "Ethel...?" Right, her ghost... A part of Evelyn had just figured that Ethel had been there the whole time. That was always how it'd been back then, where you always had to be mindful of Lotte interacting with thin air like a little kid with an imaginary friend. Did she go somewhere? Evelyn's gaze settled on the prosthetic hand, an uneasy chill running up her spine. It wasn't good manners to stare, or good manners to ask, even good manners to think about for too long, but everyone had that morbid curiosity that made them wonder about that kind of thing.

What happened to your hand?

She didn't put a voice to her words, but it was the unspoken question that hung over them. An awkward faux pas, the elephant in the room.

"If... if y-you want..." Evelyn muttered, tearing her eyes away and focusing on her hands. Pushing it would've felt nosy, even if they both knew they couldn't dance around it forever.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Admiral of the SS Sexbang
Jay

Beata Bucks : 8666

PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Lotte frowned at the table, running her fingers over the narrow edge. Where to begin? She figured Evelyn didn't know any of it. "Um, well." She smiled, but it was in no way a happy smile. Her eyes never looked up. This was not Lotte. "I...Ethel was stolen from me, um, by some guy with some...kind of power, and." She swallowed. "Spirits started talking to me and stuff, and they wouldn't, they wouldn't shut up."
The girl realized she was already getting angry, maybe even hysterical, gritting her teeth as she said the final two words, her heart beating out of her chest. Her fingers tapped on the table; it was best to finish it up quickly. The girl took a deep breath, leaving out unnecessary details and replacing them with a fast tongue. "My mom forced me into a mental hospital, I cut off my ear because they kept talking in it. They sewed it back on, I cut off my hand because it kept itching. They didn't sew it back on. I figured out how to get them to stop..." She swallowed a second time, giving a brief pause and looking up at Evelyn. Her head was still tilted down, so that she looked like a child. "...and here I am."

She shouldn't have told that story. She still had to meet with Jace. What if that story kept her from Jace? She bit her lip, and said nothing after that, staring distantly at the table. Now Evelyn knew she was crazy for a great part of her life. How much reason would Evelyn have to think she was no longer crazy?
Back to top Go down
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Evelyn stared at her tray, silently absorbing every strained word. She could feel the pain in her voice, the anguish, the despair, the torment. Ethel was... stolen? Did that mean she was dead? Destroyed? How could a ghost be killed? And the rest of it... A mental hospital, voices in her ear, ghosts all around her. It was like a cold breath on the back of her neck. That was the fine line between 'freak' and 'gifted.' Had she stayed at Beata, would any of that have happened...? Her ear... Evelyn had never noticed, not with her hair in the way, and then her hand... Why would she do that to herself? She still couldn't understand. "T-t-that's ho-horrible..." she muttered, her voice wavering, not looking up at her. "Ar-are... are y-y-you... o-okay...?"

It was a stupid question.

She'd cut her hand off. She'd cut her ear off. She'd lost Ethel. She'd spent two years in a mental hospital.

And now she was here.

How would anyone like that be okay?

Hearing it all at once was a hard shock, and the worst part was, a part of her knew that Lotte had cut out the grimier details. Evelyn let her fork fall onto the tray and pulled her hand back into her lap. Suddenly, she wasn't as hungry anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Melancholy of Autumn   The Melancholy of Autumn - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Melancholy of Autumn
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2