Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumors of a List are beginning to circle around the school... A list of what...?
I love you, Pillow ♥
Ebony was here.
Do you have any ideas for future events? Tell us!
You looked so beautiful.

Train System and new areas

Go down 
2 posters

Do you support this idea?
Yes
Train System and new areas I_vote_lcap86%Train System and new areas I_vote_rcap
 86% [ 6 ]
No
Train System and new areas I_vote_lcap14%Train System and new areas I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Jay
Admiral of the SS Sexbang
Jay

Beata Bucks : 8663

Train System and new areas Empty
PostSubject: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 10:30 am

Rosebury is connected to a train network. At least, that's how I've always written it. When characters enter Rosebury they enter through train; if Maisie's dad needs to leave, he leaves through train. I mean, it has to be connected to something. People have to leave and come for the sake of accessing the school.

Now, I have observed something in the way people make topics around here.

"Where do you want to make it?"
"I don't care."
"Want to make it in the Courtyard?"
"I always have topics in the Courtyard."
"What about here?"
"Nah, it's kinda boring."

Over the 3 or so years this site has been around, we've had the same areas. There's been nothing new, no places to explore, so a lot of topic making has become a bit stale. Not always, existing relationships can usually bring excitement, but it has stuck us in a bubble. Most topics play out the same. There's nowhere to go. If you want to go on a date, you go to the Cafe. If you want to have a hang out topic, you go to the Lounge. I want to get us out of this bubble by suggesting new areas.

To do this, I wanted to locate Beata formally on the map. Beata is surrounded by lush forest land, from the boards Tree has put down to how we've all been describing it. Well, we didn't do research apparently, because North Dakota's forestland is jack shit.

Train System and new areas Ddb1323b-e419-44be-a6e4-c85f08666f61

Buuut, I suppose it is there. It just limited my scope. Now, I would like to place Beata along Mouse River State Forest, mainly because I would like to introduce

Train System and new areas TheMagicCity

Minot is a decent sized city, the perfect size for what I am looking for. It has a little bit under 50,000 people, making it substantially bigger than Rosebury but not too big. I would like this place to have an array of new, interesting areas. It can have the airport that students use to travel for missions. It can have a zoo, since Minot has a zoo. A mall, a golf course, a hotel, a park, a marketplace; anything a decently sized city has that Rosebury doesn't. The city has a university as well, and plenty of housing, making it a prime place for graduate students to go if a member does not want to let go of their older character. And imagine the reinvention of the title 'Resident.' A resident can now be a normal person that may have been led onto the existence of gifted through an experience, or just a normal person altogether.

This city can act as the students' escape, a place to get away from the claustrophobic campus-and-town atmosphere that we've been restricted to. Furthermore, it can have an interesting dynamic of everyone there being normal. Students have to be careful there. They cannot show off their gifts unless they absolutely have to. Hell, we could maybe create a base of operations there for Argona's Force, and have this tense atmosphere there where two warring factions are in the same location, but cannot feud as to keep their abilities hidden.

And notice how I titled this Train System. This has endless possibilities. I'm not just talking repetitive towns, I am talking about stops at pastures, fields, farms, canyons, mountains. Places that may not fit Beata's immediate surroundings would be perfect for sticking on the train system. I think this is a perfect chance to rejuvenate an excitement for roleplaying on this site, giving an array of different opportunities to members.

I know what some of you conservatives will say. "Jay, Sleepy's site died because of all it's areas." To this, I'll say Sleepy's site was overwhelming in many different ways that this would not be. Sleepy's site gave users freedom in more than just it's areas, foremost; it had a lack of a site goal, what your character should be, what your character should do. It kind of threw you in and told you to have fun with Pokemon. Beata is not like that. Everyone is a student in a school. We all know what we are, where we live, what our identities are. We know that what we pick will have dozens of people like us to RP with, and I think that's the main reason why Sleepy's site failed, not the areas. Also, secondly, this would not be throwing people in to a new environment. Everyone has sucked the life out of the normal environments already. We've gotten used to them, and thus half the roleplaying boards on this site will be a comfort to us, rather than all of them being a mystery. Thirdly, Sleepy's site had 140 areas. I'm not asking for 100+ areas.

I think this would be a perfect step towards revitalization of a site where, to be honest, I see way too much unenthusiastic groans whenever people have to post. Topics are tired. They play out the same because people have done them over and over. Let's spread the site out and not only give new areas to venture into, but give the existing, campus boards a chance to breath, less saturation of topics so that maybe people will find them less dull.
Back to top Go down
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

Beata Bucks : 12292

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Changes I'd make
1. No definitively placing Beata anywhere. North Dakota doesn't have mountains either and I'm pretty sure and we're in a valley. It's ~mysterious~.
2. Instead of Minot, I'd strongly advocate an entirely fictional city (similarly indefinitely placed). It can still be 50,000 people (perhaps less), with a zoo and a mall and all that, but without the baggage that real world cities bring. It gives us our freedom to do whatever. You could make the argument that it's 20 years in the future and we have the creative license to add whatever areas we want, but then at that point, why not just make up your own city if you're making up everything else? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is the worry about Nate being an anti-fun stickler who keeps students back in the interest of safety, which is the only roadblock, but people seem enthusiastic about the idea. Those two stipulations would probably be my only conditions for incorporating this.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 4:09 pm

I don't know. I knew you'd suggest replacing Minot with something fictional, but I don't like that. It's too big. Rosebury can be fictional because Rosebury is a small ass little village in the middle of nowhere. You and I and all our family and friends could plop down in the middle of the woods and make a Rosebury, it is entirely possible to just have a mysterious little settlement. But having a made up 50,000 person city is not something I would like to just insert into the world. We might as well call North Dakota North Yawpton, USA the United Confederation of Cumfaggots, and Earth Kepler. I like Beata being in the real world, and if we just materialize such a large city into the real world, it doesn't feel right. We should use real cities. Rosebury doesn't have an impact on the world. It's a group of crazies in the forest. A medium-sized city does have an impact, though. It's a large population of normal people. This is a city a lot of people will know, a city that will appear on maps, and the fact that it just exists in Beata's world and Beata's world only while simultaneously we say Beata is the real world. Idk, it bothers me, I don't like when fiction does that.

I'd agree with just making Beata's location hazy. A train could take you anywhere in North Dakota, so we don't need to put Beata in a direct location. But I want to keep it Minot. I don't want to do a comic book "Replace New York City with Gotham City" kind of thing, I don't think it's necessary.

We're in North Dakota. We should use a fictional village as the away-from-the-world, secret, magical place, and we use a real city in North Dakota as a sort of  connection with the outside world. We don't have to make it EXACTLY like the real Minot, we don't even really need to have it in the same location, just use its name for the sake of real-world consistency and hazily include its points. Like how ATA was in Albany but not really in Albany.
Back to top Go down
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 pm

This is a fictional universe, centered around a fictional school in an uncertain location, is a fictional city that much of a stretch? It's not as if Cumfaggot City, USA would have materialized out of thin air the moment it was needed; it wouldn't be anymore out of place in the history of the world than Minot. There'd be little to nothing that sets it apart, except we would have creative control over the town's geography, layout, areas, name and history.

To compound on that, has anyone heard of Minot until just now? What about Sammamish, Washington? Parker, Colorado? Can you even be confident I didn't just make those two up right now? You're right and I'll agree that 50,000 might be too big for a fictional city (I didn't really have perspective how large that'd be—one of the larger cities in North Dakota), but I disagree with the notion that it wouldn't 'fit' into our real world anymore than Beata or Sofia or Montare's furry clan fit into our real world. There's probably been a hundred fake hometowns cooked up as part of a hundred different backstories, and as far as anyone is concerned here, they're real places.

This is me being stubborn, but I'd object more to a real city being changed to fit the needs of our forum than to a fictional one. Cumfaggot City serves as a connection to the real world just by virtue of being a normal city. To Beata's characters, it wouldn't be any less real than Chicago, San Francisco, or New Orleans.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Whether or not we've heard of it, it still has a place on the map, especially in the North Dakotan map. People in Australia have never heard of Pittsburgh. Locally, it is still big enough to be a little jarring to fake. Beata, Sofia, Montare's clan, are all small and supposed to be secretive. A 50,000 person city is out in the open. It has a place in US economy, it's a place that would have its own substantial wiki page anyone could look up and find, it's a place anyone could locate on Google Maps from a pretty far out zoom. It's pretty big, just maybe not in a US scope.

And I don't think it's a fictional universe. Everything in Beata's universe exists on Earth, it's just there's another layer to Beata's universe. It operates under the assumption that there is a supernatural element to this universe, but it is still this universe. The same people are in it, and the same places are in it, so to start adding new, relatively large places in an otherwise consistent universe is still jarring. This universe is exactly the same except for some city in North Dakota.

I'm just asking for a relation in name only, it's my geographical consistency OCD. Just call the city Minot, we don't need the streets down to a T and the place names to be the places irl. Those are small and don't really have a large impact. It's just plopping Cumfaggot City in the middle of North Dakota when everything else in the universe down to the king of Norway is consisent bothers me more than it should, it's the autism, appeal to my autism.
Back to top Go down
Sleepy
Bottom Pillow
Sleepy

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Cumfaggot City would have a place on the North Dakotan map, a place in the US economy, its own Wikipedia page, and it'd be a place anyone can look at and jack off to on Google Earth, because whether or not it's real in our reality has no bearing whether it's real on this forum where fake locations are a dime a dozen. My point about whether you've heard of those cities is to illustrate that it's not out of place for this city to exist; if we were creating the next New York, Tokyo, or Los Angeles, you might have a point, but it's not weird for a city of this size and scope to be 'inserted' into the world.

'Fictional universe' doesn't mean an original fantasy world (a la Lord of the Rings). Beata is a work of fiction, and even if it took place in a completely real high school with no supernatural elements, it'd be a fictional universe. Elliot is from a fake town, Jane lives on a fake street, Evelyn went to a fake middle school, the same is true for so many other characters. It takes place on Earth as we know it, and for the most part it's the same, but these 'inconsistencies' with reality are everywhere if you want to dig. You might argue they're not impactful, but I figured out Minot existed today. That's the definition of not impactful. You could've said Minot was made up and I would've believed you.

Beata's version of Minot would just be Cumfaggot City with a paint job and I'm triggered.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas EmptyFri Oct 21, 2016 5:36 pm

UGH CALL IT CUMFAGGOT CITY WHATEVER YOU RUIN MY IDEA I AM NOT EVEN EXCITED ANYMORE THANKS DAD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Train System and new areas   Train System and new areas Empty

Back to top Go down

Train System and new areas
Page 1 of 1