Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumors of a List are beginning to circle around the school... A list of what...?
I love you, Pillow ♥
Ebony was here.
Do you have any ideas for future events? Tell us!
You looked so beautiful.

Hospital Rooms

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jay
Admiral of the SS Sexbang
Jay

Beata Bucks : 8663

Hospital Rooms Empty
PostSubject: Hospital Rooms   Hospital Rooms EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Arbor stared up into the wisps of light poking stubbornly through the clouds, holding a flat hand above her squinted eyes and jingling around the change in her pocket. She frowned and sighed, withdrawing a coin and rolling it into the slot, a click and a whir sounding as the phone in her hand settled on a beep, a beep...beep...beep, another click, and a hello.
She was in room 38D. It was hard to say what would become of her. She was even more of a mess than when Arbor last saw her. Thank you, thank you. Are you going to be okay, child? I’ve been okay my whole life. The sun that reached out to her from the apertures of a cloudy afternoon gave way to obstruction, and rain promised its heavy burden on the swollen gray sky. She said goodbye. The man on the other line hung up.
I’m the strongest person alive. This was her first words to Alfie Compson, five years prior on the street where she tried to rob him. This, of course, was met with a laughter. Too much laughter. More than one person’s worth of laughter. Arbor operated at that time on the idea that no one would strike an eight year old. Cayden Hawke was the first to strike an eight year old.
“What are you, in first grade?” She never gave him an answer, but there was something about him she couldn’t stand. He looked on top of the world, a Byronian and only ten. He waited for a few moments, and snickered. “What should we do with her? Steal her money?”
“No, don’t.”
“The bitch talks.”
“I need it.”
“We all need money.”
“We should just let her go, man.”
There was a sideways argument over these words Alfie spoke. Buttmunch, loser, she’s a little kid. And when this happened, Arbor sought to move the chair out from under her. Her bound hand flicked backward. She was flung toward the ceiling. Alfie gave a horrified start. Cayden looked on with a sort of nonchalant blink. When she hit the ceiling, she lay there for a while, looking up at where her head made an indent in the flimsy wooden roof of the shed. She said nothing, conveyed nothing. Cayden entered her view.
How did you do that? I’m the strongest person alive. The word rang in her ears with the dial as the doctor hung up. Arbor stood there for a little while, spinning circles in the old number pad, until a dot of rain pounced on her nose and she slammed the phone into the receiver.
Who are you, her mother asked as she walked through the door, rubbing the bruise on the back of her bloodied head. I’m your daughter, she answered, and a bubbly sodapop laughter followed her to her room.
Hm hm hm hm. Kaya spread the peanut butter onto the bread, topping the sandwich and enveloping it in the bag. She pressed the stickynote onto the top, scribbling Laresa on the top. She did it again, this time putting, Danyul. She placed them in the refrigerator. She put the strap over her bag. Nagligivaget. She made way through the door.
She passed by a kid looking out the window in the lobby, and passing a glance to the sky she blinked. “Is it going to rain?”
“I think.”
“What’s your name?”
There was a certain urgency in her step as she walked to class. She had plenty of time to make it, but the watery gray that hung over her head worried her. Watery gray; she’d always assumed rain fell blue, but when she’d first seen it in person the prior day, it was gray. Gray like the snow. She breathed into her cracked hands and went on to the main building.
“Kayla Yah-cone.”
“Kaya, madam.”
“Oh, sorry. I have a Kayla in my other class, I keep forgetting.”
“It’s okay, madam.”
“You’re kind.”
“Thank you.”
“Arbor Banks.”
The girl sat in the back of the class, face in a book, and it took another call from teacher for her to peer up. “Here.” Kaya looked back at her, studied her face and its nonplussed glances. No one else even blinked in her direction.
When the teacher’s last word was interrupted by a drone on the speaker, Kaya made her way back, slipping past the rushing bodies of students heading to their next classes. The girl was still sitting. She leaned on the desk adjacent.
“Hello.”
Nothing.
“I’m Kaya.”
Nothing.
Arbor gathered her papers, organizing them in neat piles and putting them in her bag, a standard backpack, different from the moosefur pack she herself had over her shoulder. Kaya waited for a few moments, but the late bell rang, so she gave a small, “Well, goodbye then.” When she walked away, however, a voice called her back, roped her feet to a halt.
“3 o’clock, soccer field.”
Kaya turned to give her a smile, and though she was met with a frown and a curt passing, she nodded. She made a friend. Maybe this girl wasn’t as mean as she looked.
“Fight me.”
The rain came in arbitrary sprinkles, erratic and slamming the field in far-between hefty drops. Kaya watched her, her deadpan expression, the right hand whose fingers curled and the left hand buried in her pocket. Who was this girl?
“What?” she replied, smiling but not happy.
“I know you, Kaya Yakone.”
“What?”
“You’re the god turned devil to the eskimo village. I know you.”
The world paused for Kaya. The icy drops turned to air.
“How…?”
“Your meeting with the counselor, I’ve read the transcripts.” This girl, Arbor Banks, smiled at her. “I know you, Kaya Yakone. You’re strong.”
“How did you get the transcripts?”
“Fight me.”
“I don’t want to fight you!”
“You don’t have a choice.”
The girl withdrew a coin from her pocket. It looked to be a penny, a harmless penny, the most pathetic of currency. But she flicked it onto the air. As it fell, Arbor slammed her fist into it. It flattened. Oh God, the penny flattened. It was razor thin when it came back down. Kaya began to run.
The soccer field was long, located down the hill from the campus, but it seemed to stretch for an eternity. It was as long as Hell, as long as the white devil of the North, and Kaya felt that she’d led herself into the middle of it. She was once at the corner of this field, where the eyes of society could still see her from the courtyard. The courtyard had no view of where she and Arbor stood, however. And no one seemed to see her.
The pain came in a flash, a liquid sensation that came over her shoulder, and her arm seized up. Kaya reached back. There was a disc in her shoulder. Half of it had cracked off, fallen onto the ground, marking a trail of blood that trickled and splattered over the precipice of the remaining half. She had been struck by the disc. She had to keep running. Who knew how many of those Arbor had?
Kaya opened her mouth to scream, to holler help over the winds of the ensuing storm, but she felt a pull. It was a short burst, a pressure in her shoulder that brought her flying back. The shard of the penny ripped out of her shoulder blade. Before she knew it, she was twenty feet back, landing on her butt.
Kaya whipped around. Arbor had been walking, not rushing in the slightest, a gap between them as the girl prepared another penny. She tossed it like a frisbee, and it glided, over the field. Drops that pelted it exploded into a cyclone of thin water, and before Kaya knew it, it was a second away from hitting her. From killing her. She raised her hand and threw a red bolt at it. It immediately landed and clattered to the ground.
She scrambled to her feet, but before she could even begin to run, a disc buried itself into her abdomen. another caught her chest. She struggled to breath over fear, fear of death and the sensation of certain death. She backed up and slipped over a patch of mud, a look of horror on her face as blood overtook the front of her uniform, a sheet of red mixed with a twisting pressure. Arbor was close now. She was smiling.
“Why?” Kaya’s voice was not her own, distant in the swirling winds of pouring rain. Arbor flicked a coin into the air, and she spoke.
“I’m the strongest person alive,” she shouted. There was the pull of discs as Kaya was brought forward. When they finally unrooted from her flesh, she was kneeling in front of Arbor, who stood there, a coin in her hand.
“Don’t kill me,” Kaya whispered, faint and desperate.
“Then fight! Don’t run, fight!”
The first time she’d asked Cayden to fight, he gladly obliged. He was a little too eager. When they fought, she launched a coin at him to begin. It bounced feebly off his chest. He beat the crap out of her that day.
“I can’t!”
Arbor gave a kick to her face, and she landed on the sopping grass. Her attacker's face was flaring, her emotions surging incredibly. Just a moment ago she was expressionless. Kaya peered up feebly into her eyes.
“You’re in this school," Arbor screamed. "You have to fight!”
“I...can’t.”
A kick to the stomach. “You’re weak! Fight me! The god of bumfuck Canada can’t beat a little girl!?”
“Can’t…”
Over her head, a bird flew heavily, diving and rising again, wobbling through the air in search of a home. That and Arbor’s foot. She waited for it to come down again. It did not, however. Words laced into Kaya’s consciousness, floating words she wasn’t sure were real through the bleary buzzing in her mind. They whistled with the ringing in her head. “Remember me.” The strongest person alive.
Kaya seemed to blank out for a moment. Her world passed in the skipping of seconds, blips in and out of consciousness. Arbor was no longer there when she came to be. She laid in that grass for what seemed to be hours, arms stretched to the world, looking up at the rainclouds that send cold drops onto her skin, washing her blood into the grass. Her mouth was slightly ajar. Her tears were hidden by the rain.
It was easier to die in peace. The true nightmare was dying in the middle of violence. Nanook, her tired mind crackled. Nanook was the nightmare.
Back to top Go down

Hospital Rooms
Page 1 of 1